Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ghee (aka Clarified Butter)

Ghee is the only Paleo-approved dairy product.  To make Ghee, one melts plain ol' real butter over very low heat for a really long time then strains it.  This process separates the irritants from the fat. 

Ingredients:
*butter (real butter, not margarine)


Directions:
1.  Melt butter over very, very low heat.  (I set my stove at 1.)

2.  Stir butter until it melts, then leave it alone and let it simmer for about an hour.  A white bubbly film will form.  This can be scraped off or left alone.

3.  Continue to simmer for another 30-90 minutes.  You will see the solids on the bottom of the pan begin to turn brown.  When you see this, the Ghee is finished.

4.  Place coffee filter in sieve  over pint-sized mason jar.  Strain Ghee.

5.  Allow to cool and store in fridge.  Ghee will harden at cooler temperatures, just like regular butter.

Recipe Source:  James Anderson via Primal Mountain Nutrition Challenge Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have a few questions. Could you email me so I have your email address. tamara.moses@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghee is also great if you have dairy issues,something about the protien break down makes it so Alton can eat it and I use it all the time in place of butter. I am lazy and just buy mine at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete